In other words, it can be defined as, it provides a base on which various applications, controls and components are built in .NET Framework. It is a virtual machine that provide a common platform to run an application that was built using the different language such as what is entity framework C#, VB.NET, Visual Basic, etc. It is also used to create a form based, console-based, mobile and web-based application or services that are available in Microsoft environment. Furthermore, the .NET framework is a pure object oriented, that similar to the Java language.
- Entity Framework Core is a lightweight, extensible, open-sourced version of the Entity Framework Data Access Technology built for .NET Core Applications.
- This model is best suitable for new projects where the database does not exist.
- It is a data access framework which used to create and test data in the visual studio.
- EF Core is a lightweight, open-source, extensible ORM (Object Relational Mapper) that supports several database providers including SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft SQL Server.
- (You’ll find a complete list of EF Core providers here.) And, as we’ve noted, EF Core supports storing and retrieving data to and from memory using its In-Memory Database Provider.
EF API can map each entity to tables and each property of an entity to a column in the database. Internally, these E-SQL queries are converted to SQL queries that are data store dependent. E-SQL queries are converted to datastore-specific query languages like T-SQL via the Entity Framework (Transact SQL). Run the application and notice that Departments and Employees data are displayed as expected as shown in the below image. We have achieved all this without writing a single line of ADO.NET code.
Add the Repository service to the services container in ASP.NET Core 6
Entity Framework is an open-source object-relational mapper framework for .NET applications supported by Microsoft. It eliminates the need for most of the data-access code which is used to interact with the database that developers usually need to write. It provides an abstract level to the developers to work with a relational table and columns by using the domain-specific object. It also reduces the code size of the data specific applications and also the readability of the code increases by using it.
What is an in-memory database?
The Entity Framework allows developers to work with data at a higher level of abstraction. Entity Framework allows you to develop and maintain data-oriented apps with less code than traditional applications. The C# Entity framework will be explained in this article. In this article, I am going to discuss how to use Entity Framework in ASP.NET MVC Application to interact with SQL Server Database to perform the CRUD operation. In the ASP.NET MVC application, the controller responds to the incoming HTTP request, then gets the data from a model and hands it over to the view.